2021-2022 MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENTS
Dear Bobcat Families,
In 2021-2022, the Blackwell PTSA was able to support our students, staff, and community, as we transitioned back to in-person events. We worked hard to bring our traditional events back to the school in a way that adhered to ever-changing safety protocols. We welcomed back many volunteers to help with events and in-classroom work. We appreciate your support - whether you participated, volunteered, donated funds, or joined the PTSA. Thank you!
Here are some of the ways we supported our students and school community during this past year.
Student and School Community Events
- Welcomed new families (including incoming Kindergarten and first grade families) with a socially distanced pizza night and a welcome-back coffee event.
- Greeted students and families at the Back to Business event, handing out Bobcat t-shirts to new students, and providing goodies for teacher meet-and-treats.
- Held our traditional Fun Run fundraising event, in a format consistent with safety protocols. Event highlights included Mr. Brewer dying his beard blue and gold and Principal Eaton and Assistant Principal Gray racing in dragon costumes in exchange for raising record funds! Even our Bobcat mascot made an appearance!
- Held annual Reflections Art contest with a theme of "I Will Change the World by . . . "
- Facilitated funding of Math Club competitions and resources.
- Purchased numerous art supplies and coordinated volunteers for in-classroom art-docent events.
- Held the SquareOne art event, where students created art to be purchased, with a portion of the proceeds supporting our PTSA.
- Held a Trunk or Treat Halloween event, with a scavenger hunt, art stations, low-sensory stations, and candy distributed by spirited families. We also brought back the Virtual Pumpkin Patch event - a pumpkin decorating contest, with prizes provided by Redmond Art Works, My Fun Yard, and Professional Chef Mary Weber.
- Hosted a Mod Pizza fundraiser, with all proceeds benefiting the library. And further supported our library at an event hosted by Brick and Mortar books.
- Held our annual Gingerbread House Decorating Contest!
- Collected Pantry Pack food supplies to share our resources with our larger community.
- Raised the bar on our Virtual Talent Show, with students sharing their unique talents, in an engaging format with clips of all students throughout.
- Celebrated our diverse community at Cultural Heritage Night, with families sharing their unique games and recipes from their cultures.
- Hosted a STEAM night, with stations including chess, programming, gumdrop-and-toothpick tower-building, and painting.
- Started a new Eager Reader program, with students earning new books for reaching reading minute goals.
- Sponsored the Donuts and Grown-ups event, where we foster community and involve families.
- Reimagined the Safety Patrol Field Trip and thanked our Safety Patrol with pizza, ice cream, tie-dye, and a Game Truck.
- Coordinated discounted tickets for interested families to attend a Mariner's game and share our Bobcat spirit.
- Hosted the annual Field Day event, with fifth-graders and volunteers leading 36 stations, including low-sensory stations, for kids to participate in and earn juice boxes and otter pops.
- Funded and organized the 5th Grade Legacy Art Project, a Bobcat paw print mural surrounding our first grade entryway.
- Assisted in organization of the 5th Grade Celebration Event.
Built Blackwell Pride
- Provided Blackwell t-shirts to all students and staff. THANK YOU *AGAIN* Emily Sparks for design work!
- Revamped our "You Rock" rock garden for students to express their creativity and support their teachers.
- Partnered with Dorian Photography to continue the annual school photo tradition for interested families.
- Preserved the memories of this year by compiling photos from families and staff and crafting them into a yearbook.
- Started a "welcome gift bag" to help families who join us mid-year feel at-home in our school and community.
- Honored *outstanding* volunteers and educators with awards:
- Golden Acorn Mary Blake, Kristi Rockenbach, Andrea Estrada
- Bronze Bobcat Bhawana Shishodia, Nicole Dresser, Corey Deller
- Bobcat Spirit Stephanie Milton
- Outstanding Educator Erin Glover
- Outstanding Support Staff Merrily Foreman, Colleen Whillite, GinaMarie Krueger
- Outstanding Service Teddy Postadan, Helen Clemente, Lonnie Brown
School and Staff Support
- Stocked the staff lounge with grab-and-go snacks and drinks multiple times throughout the year.
- Held numerous teacher and staff lunches, to share our appreciation for all our teachers and staff do!
- Thanked our teachers and staff with Valentine goodies, funded by families who purchased "hearts" to show our thanks.
- Celebrated Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week with Disney-themed waffles, hidden "Mickey's" throughout the school, a Mad-Hatter themed tea party, and teacher treats.
- Funded teacher and school grants to support Blackwell staff with supplemental classroom supports for math, science, literacy, and social-emotional learning.
- Funded the Kindergarten Launch program and revamped supplies.
- Purchased emergency preparedness supplies, including lanterns.
- Provided funding for school improvements, including lower basketball hoops on the playground, additional PE equipment, flexible seating, and library resources.
- Beautified our school landscape with native low-maintenance plants using the legacy funds set aside for this purpose, which were raised at the 2020 Auction.
- Enhanced our website to communicate PTSA information and sign-ups for all events.
- Maintained family connections by providing a school directory to all PTSA members.
- Raised awareness of school district levies and encouraged our school and local communities to vote.
- Regularly sent communications via Facebook and our Bobcat Bulletin email newsletter.
- Kept our reader-board up-to-date with the many events and activities!
- Recognized by Washington PTA with the following awards:
- Gold Membership Growth award recognizing 10% growth in membership from the 2020-2021 year.
- Silver Standards of Excellence award for being focused and responsive to our members, as well as fiscally responsible.
- Silver Outstanding Website award recognizing our website as an effective form of communication in sharing content and advocacy resources.
We are grateful for our volunteers that helped us continue our Bobcat traditions and stay connected. We are busy planning our 2022-2023 events and would love your help. Join us!
Mary Blake Baucher, Co-President
Kristi Rockenbach, Co-President
Elizabeth Blackwell PTSA 2.8.54
3225 205th Pl NE
Sammamish, WA 98074
- Monday, August 22
- Friday, August 26
- Wednesday, August 31
- Thursday, September 1