2020-2021 MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENTS
Dear Bobcat Families,
In 2020-2021, the Blackwell PTSA had to pivot and reimagine how to serve our school community, through virtual and socially distanced events. We appreciate your support - whether you participated, volunteered, donated funds, or joined the PTSA. Thank you!
Here are some of the ways we supported our students and school community during this unusual year.
Student and School Community Events
- Welcomed students back to *virtual* school last fall by distributing face masks and otter pops (in lieu of our normal Ice Cream Social event). Students were encouraged to freeze and enjoy their otter pop to kick off the start of school.
- Held the Fun & Fit virtual event in place of the annual Fun Run, and coordinated prize pick-up for families. The all-school reward for reaching our goal was a virtual lip sync battle between Mr. Eaton and Mr. Moore.
- Held annual Reflections Art contest with a theme of "I Matter Because . . ."
- Facilitated funding of Math Club competitions and resources.
- Sponsored the Virtual Pumpkin Patch, a pumpkin decorating contest, with great prizes provided by Redmond Art Works and My Fun Yard.
- Hosted timely Parent/Caregiver Education events - Online Safety Virtual Class (Amy Lang of Birds & Bees & Kids) and Emotional Readiness to Return to School (Mary Schoenfeldt).
- Held our annual Gingerbread House Decorating Contest in an online format.
- Organized a Used Book Swap, by collecting books and sorting them by reading level into grab bags. The bags of books and bookmarks were distributed to interested families.
- Worked with local music school, Bach to Rock Redmond, to facilitate a Virtual Talent Show.
- Sponsored the "Donut Dash," a drive-through donut breakfast giveaway for all families.
- Funded and organized the 5th Grade Legacy Art Project - Blackwell Wings of Hope. It is featured on the front of the school by the bus lane.
- Assisted in organization of the 5th Grade Celebration Event and provided t-shirts and yard signs for graduating 5th graders.
- Celebrated the end of the school year with Chillz Ice Cream Jeep and a "Happy Summer" yard sign for end-of-year photos.
Built Blackwell Pride
- Provided a Blackwell spirit t-shirt to all students and staff. THANK YOU Emily Sparks for design work!
- Created a "You Rock" rock garden for students to express their creativity and support their teachers.
- Partnered with Dorian Photography to continue the annual school photo tradition for interested families.
- Preserved the memories of this year by compiling photos from families and staff and crafting them into a yearbook.
- Honored *outstanding* volunteers and educators with awards:
- Golden Acorn Kelly Lyon-King
- Bronze Bobcat Jiaying Ni, Katrina Thomas, Robin Thomas
- Lifetime Honorary PTSA Member Charlotte Olsen
- Outstanding Educators Meg Stinnett and Sheryl Brandt
- "What-a-Year" Plaque Jim Eaton
School and Staff Support
- Stocked the staff lounge with grab-and-go snacks and drinks several times throughout the year.
- Celebrated Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week with tropical decorations, daily gifts, and special treats.
- Funded teacher and school grants to support Blackwell staff in their virtual and in-person classrooms.
- Provided funding to replace the readerboard.
- Provided funding for the extra storage area behind the school.
- Purchased quarantine "comfort kits" for students waiting for parent pick-up.
- Partnered with EduKit to provide families a school supply shopping alternative.
- Launched our new website to enhance the communication and legacy of PTSA information.
- Maintained family connections by providing a school directory to all PTSA members.
- Regularly sent communications via Facebook and our Bobcat Bulletin email newsletter.
We are grateful for our volunteers that helped us continue our Bobcat traditions and stay connected. We are busy planning our 2021-2022 events and would love your help. Join us!
Mary Blake Baucher, Co-President
Kristi Rockenbach, Co-President
Elizabeth Blackwell PTSA 2.8.54
3225 205th Pl NE
Sammamish, WA 98074